The Commission for Public Affairs and Social Development through Sport (formerly the International Relations Commission) advises the IOC Session, the IOC Executive Board and the IOC President on strategies to promote the role of sport and Olympism in society and to position the IOC as a thought leader and a strong actor on the international stage around sport for development and peace in and beyond the Games.
The responsibilities of the Public Affairs and Social Development through Sport are to:
- Devise strategies to advocate for the integration of sport and physical activity in government policies and programmes, as well as international development policies and programmes;
- Advise on engagement strategies with other key stakeholders and partners in sport for development, such as major organisations and institutions, the private sector (foundations, TOP sponsors, World Bank, etc.), and pressure groups (Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, etc.);
- Advise on strategies to develop impactful and sustainable grassroots sport for development and peace programmes with key selected and reputable strategic partners (UN, major NGOs, foundations);
- Advise on the Sport for Hope Programme to ensure strong ongoing operations while developing sustainable operational models for the future;
- Advise on a global communications strategy around sport for social change, leveraging various platforms and Olympians, as well as the Olympism in Action Congress;
- Advise on how to further educate the Olympic Movement (NOCs, IFs, OCOGs, athletes) on the benefits of grassroots sport for development and peace, and help build their capacity to advocate, communicate and deliver around it.
The Public Affairs and Social Development through Sport Commission is supported by the Public Affairs and Social Development through Sport Department.
Prince Feisal AL HUSSEIN
Odette ASSEMBE ENGOULOU
Nawal EL MOUTAWAKEL
Mamadou Diagna NDIAYE
Prince Fahad Bin Jalawi Bin Abdullaziz ALSAUD
Sheikh Joaan Bin Hamad Bin Khalifa AL-THANI
Thierno Alassane DIACK
Aya MAHMOUD MEDANY
Director in charge
Director of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs
Director of Olympic Solidarity and NOC Relations