The IOC Executive Board has proposed a new strategic roadmap, Olympic Agenda 2020+5, to the upcoming IOC Session. Consisting of 15 recommendations, it builds on the results of Olympic Agenda 2020 and act as the roadmap for the IOC and the Olympic Movement for the next five years. The title, Olympic Agenda 2020+5, has been chosen to reflect the fact that this new roadmap is the successor to Olympic Agenda 2020 and will determine the direction of the IOC and the Olympic Movement until 2025.
The 15 recommendations are based on key trends that have been identified as likely to be decisive in the post-coronavirus world. They are also areas where sport and the values of Olympism can play a key role in turning challenges into opportunities.
The key trends include:
- the need for greater solidarity within and among societies;
- the growth in digitalisation, while keeping in mind the need to expand digital capability to the currently digitally underserved;
- the urgency of achieving sustainable development;
- the growing demand for credibility, both of organisations and institutions; and
- the need to build resilience in the face of the financial and economic consequences that will result from the COVID-19 pandemic and which will influence priority-setting among governments and enterprises.
The 15 recommendations, which have been inspired by these trends, call upon the IOC and the Olympic Movement to:
- Strengthen the uniqueness and the universality of the Olympic Games
- Foster sustainable Olympic Games
- Reinforce athletes’ rights and responsibilities
- Continue to attract best athletes
- Further strengthen safe sport and the protection of clean athletes
- Enhance and promote the Road to the Olympic Games
- Coordinate the harmonisation of the sports calendar
- Grow digital engagement with people
- Encourage the development of virtual sports and further engage with video gaming communities
- Strengthen the role of sport as an important enabler for the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Strengthen the support to refugees and populations affected by displacement
- Reach out beyond the Olympic community
- Continue to lead by example in corporate citizenship
- Strengthen the Olympic Movement through good governance
- Innovate revenue generation models.