Meeting in Lausanne between the IOC and the delegation of Kuwait authorities
Following a fruitful meeting between a delegation of Kuwait Authorities, headed by H.E. the Minister of Social Affairs and Labour in Kuwait, and a delegation of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) headed by the IOC President, which took place on 15 July 2009 in Lausanne, the following agreement was reached:
- The Kuwait Authorities expressed their willingness to find an appropriate and suitable solution in order to avoid the suspension of the Kuwait Olympic Committee and the Kuwait Olympic Movement, in particular by ensuring that the national sports law and regulations in Kuwait will be compatible with (i) the Olympic Charter and (ii) the rules of the respective International Olympic Sports Federations.
- For that purpose, it was agreed that the Kuwait Government would take a Decision by 31 July 2009 at the latest in order to ensure that the process of reviewing the national sports law and regulations in order to make them compatible with the Olympic Charter and the rules of the respective International Olympic Sports Federations will be undertaken with the Kuwait Parliament.
- Also, it was agreed that the whole process of amendments of the sports law must be finalised by 31 December 2009 at the latest.
- Lastly, it was agreed that each National Sports Federation shall have the capacity and the responsibility to draft its own statutes in accordance with the principles of the Olympic Charter and the rules of their respective International Sports Federations and in close coordination with them.
If necessary, the IOC together with the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) will offer assistance to the Kuwait Authorities, on a technical level, in order to ensure that the Kuwait sports law and regulations are compatible with the Olympic Charter and the rules of the International Olympic Sports Federations concerned.
Should the Kuwait Authorities be unable to respect any steps noted above, the decision of the IOC Executive Board would be immediately enforced and the suspension of the Kuwait Olympic Committee would come into effect.
Note to editors:
International Olympic Committee (IOC):
- Mr Jacques Rogge, IOC President
- Mr Christophe de Kepper, IOC Chief of Staff
- Mr Pere Miró, Director, IOC NOC Relations Department
- Mr Jérôme Poivey, Project Manager, IOC NOC Relations Department
- H.E. Dr Mohammad Mohsen AL-AFASI, Minister of Social Affairs and Labour
- H.E. Dr Suhail K. SHUHAIBER, Ambassador of the State of Kuwait in Switzerland
- H.E. Mr Fisal ALJAZZAF, Chairman of the Board and Director General of the Public Authority for Youth and Sport (PAYS)
- Mr Abdulwahab ALBANNAI, Vice-Chairman of the PAYS Board of Directors
- Dr Jawad KHALAF, Member of the PAYS Board of Directors
For more information please contact the IOC Communications Department,Tel: +41 21 621 60 00, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our website at www.olympic.org