- 22 Feb 2012
- IOC Events
IOC President and UN Secretary-General to visit Olympic Youth Development Centre in Lusaka, Zambia – Information for the media
IOC President Jacques Rogge and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will make a joint visit to the Olympic Youth Development Centre and other community sports projects this upcoming weekend in Lusaka, Zambia.
The visit will include a tour of the Centre and meeting athletes and officials on site. Also scheduled are a presentation of awards to deserving individuals and partners, and a donation of sports equipment to deprived communities.
The Olympic Youth Development Centre, which was inaugurated two years ago, has already helped enhance sports development in Zambia by providing sports competitions, training facilities and community development services covering civic education and health services.
The Lusaka pilot project is part of the IOC’s “Sport for Hope” programme, which aims to build multi-functional sports centres in developing countries.
The delegation will also visit the Fountain of Hope centre where UNICEF is running a project focusing on the rehabilitation of street children and out-of-school children and young people through sport. This project is part of the “International Inspiration” programme, the official legacy programme of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 February 2012
- IOC President Jacques Rogge
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- IOC member in Zambia, Patrick Chamunda
- President of the National Olympic Committee of Zambia, Mrs Mirriam Moyo
- Zambian government officials
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
- Photo and interview opportunities will be organised during the visit for the media attending the event.
- A selection of photos of the visit will be available shortly after the event on Flickr.
- Video footage will be made available. Details to follow.
Media interested in covering the event/story should contact the IOC Press Office firstname.lastname@example.org or call +41 21 621 6000.
Please click here for the Sport for Hope brochure
For more information, please contact the IOC Media Relations Team:
Tel: +41 21 621 6000 e-mail: email@example.com, or visit our web site at www.olympic.org.