IOC Launches New Olympic Fan Experience - Olympic Internet Portal, www.olympic.org, Geared To Fan's Interest
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will launch its completely revamped internet site, www.olympic.org, Thursday 31 January 2002 at 1 p.m. (Salt Lake City time). The redesign of the site is an outgrowth of the IOC’s desire to improve its communication with Olympic enthusiasts.
Geared to the interest of Olympic fans, the site highlights Olympic athletes, Games, and sports, as well as the workings of the IOC. More than 7,000 images, 1,200 audio and video files, and 700,000 words, help bring the Olympic values and experience alive for the viewer. It is thought to be the most extensive Olympic site available in both French and English.
The new www.olympic.org will enable its visitors to:
- relive the achievements of athletes who have become part of Olympic history
- discover the Olympic sports and disciplines, past and present
- learn about the history of the Games from Athens 1896 to Sydney 2000, and discover highlights, innovations, anecdotes, lists of medallists and details of ceremonies, as well as the symbols of each of the Games (torch, emblem, medals, poster and mascot)
- explore the Olympic Movement and learn about its mission and its activities
- enter the world of Olympic enthusiasts, both that of the Olympic Museum and that of Olympic object collectors.
Launched just a week before the Opening Ceremony, it will also enable visitors to follow the IOC’s activities in Salt Lake City. Specialised Games-time content will include highlights from the 113th IOC Session, the activities of IOC President Jacques Rogge, doping control-related information, and a behind-the-scenes look at the Games organisation. The site will also follow the exploits of Croatian athlete Janicà Kostelic, winner of the Alpine Skiing World Cup 2000-2001 and a beneficiary of an Olympic Solidarity scholarship.
www.olympic.org is the address of the Olympic Movement’s permanent site. www.olympics.com remains the official site of the XIX Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City.
In conjunction with the launch of the portal, a complete media kit featuring screenshots of the site will be available.
For more information on this subject, please contact Stéphane Kanah, Internet Manager, by telephone on +1 801 215-2928 (from 29 January to 25 February 2002).