- 21 Aug 2004
- IOC News
Excellent TV rating performances for opening
The Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony ratings for rights-holding broadcasters demonstrated huge global interest in this summer’s Games, according to findings compiled by the IOC. Aournd the world, the Opening Ceremony coverage broke records and eclipsed regular programming.
- UK: Two and-a-half times more viewers than Sydney: BBC attracted an average audience of 8.5 million and audience share of 38.1
- France: Opening Ceremony attracts largest share of audience: an average of 7.3 milion viewers on France 2 and an audience share of 39.9%.
- Germany: ZDF attracts more than three times as many viewers than Sydney: an average audience of 12.95 million and a viewing share nearing 50%.
-USA: More than 56 million people tuned into at least some of NBC’s four-hour broadcast of the Opening Ceremony.
-Japan : unfavourable time zone does not deter viewers: 5.6 million households audience for 15.8 million viewers.
- South Korea: opening ceremony dominates early morning viewing share: SBS, MBC and KBS registered all a viewing share in excess of 25% for a 94% average viewers share.
- Australia : Seven's Olympic Games broadcasting dominates Saturday television: average network audience across the main 5 cities of 2.3 million tuned into re- broadcasting, making it the most viewed on Australian television on Saturday.
- New Zealand: Women tune into Opening Ceremony broadcast: between 388, 800 and 614, 800 donating early morning viewing with a 75% share. Women's share : 54.1 %.
Learn more on Marketing
Learn more on Athens 2004
Official website of Athens 2004