Declaration of the IOC Executive Board
- The IOC Executive Board is deeply shocked and saddened by the abuse scandal in the US Gymnastics Federation.
- It expressed its moral support for the victims and applauded the courage of the victims who gave testimony.
- The IOC EB welcomed the creation of a fund by the USOC for the victims for counselling and treatment.
- It took note of the ongoing independent investigation and hopes that this will also give clarity to the responsibilities of the different parties.
- In order to prevent such kinds of abuse, the IOC EB strongly suggests that the USOC and the US Gymnastics Federation, as well as all International Federations, National Olympic Committees and National Federations, make use of the IOC toolkit on safeguarding athletes from harassment and abuse in sport.
- The IOC EB encourages the participants at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 to address any concerns in this respect to the IOC Safeguarding Officer.
PyeongChang, 4 February 2018