9th World Conference on Sport and the Environment
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has launched the registration process for the 9th World Conference on Sport and the Environment, which will take place in Doha, Qatar, from 30 April to 2 May 2011. Under the motto “Playing for a Greener Future”, the event is being organised in partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Qatar Olympic Committee.
Representatives from the sports community, environmental organisations, universities, governments, intergovernmental organisations, the business world and the media will come to the Middle East to present the latest environmental success stories in sport, identify current and future challenges and explore new solutions for sustainability in sport at all levels.
Items on the agenda, which will be addressed in plenary and breakout sessions, include:
- How sport can contribute to the 2012 Rio +20 Earth Summit
- Ways of implementing the Olympic Movement’s Agenda 21 at global and local level
- The role of sport in achieving goal 7 (environmental sustainability) of the Millennium Development Goals
- How to make sports events sustainable
- The role of Olympians in promoting respect for the environment
- Case studies of environmental solutions in sport
A highlight will be the presentation of the 2011 IOC Sport and Environment Awards, which recognise outstanding initiatives in the field of sustainable sport and environment. The deadline for nominations has been extended to 15 February 2011. Please visit this page to learn more.
The Conference comes at a strategic moment, just ahead of the Rio+20 Earth Summit in 2012 and the Olympic Games in London, which have sustainability at the heart of their preparations.
A full Conference programme and updated information will be published soon on www.olympic.org/doha2011.