Funding the Olympic Movement
The IOC distributes 90% of its revenue to organisations throughout the Olympic Movement, in order to support the staging of the Olympic Games and to promote the worldwide development of sport.
This means that every day the IOC distributes the equivalent of over USD 3.4 million to support athletes and sports organisations at all levels around the world.
This includes distributing funds to:
- NOCs to help them support their athletes at national and local levels
- IFs to run and promote their sports globally
- Individual athletes and coaches, via Olympic Solidarity funding
- The Organising Committee of each Olympic Games
- Other Olympic Movement and sport organisations to promote worldwide development of sport
- IOC activities, projects and programmes aimed at supporting the staging of the Games and promoting the worldwide development of sport and the Olympic Movement
The IOC retains 10% of the revenue it generates for the operational and administrative costs of governing the Olympic Movement.