- Olympic Games: Bronze medal in 1998 and 2010
- World Championships: Bronze medal in 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2009
- MSc. Economics, Helsinki School of Economics, Aalto University (2013)
Why did I want to be a member of the IOC Athletes’ Commission?
I have gotten far more from sport than I ever would have imagined when I started as a kid and now I want to do my part in ensuring possibilities and fair opportunities for current and future athletes. I got involved in my country’s Athletes’ Commission during my career and have learned that having the athletes’ voice heard early enough in the decision-making process is important to make it count. By competing in five Olympics, I have seen different ways of doing things and talked to many athletes. I want to put that knowledge in use for athletes and therefore I ran to become a member of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
What do the Olympic Games mean to me?
An event that inspires and unites people across nations in a way no other thing does. The language of sport is truly global and at best it has a huge amount of positive power. Watching the Olympic Games and later being a part of them has assured me that the Olympic values are something that must be taken good care of. For an athlete, off course, a chance to compete against the absolute best in your sport is very special and the best way to test your own limits too.
Role in the AC
I want to bring in the views I have gathered from competing in five Olympic Games, playing in different countries and being involved in our NOC Athletes’ Commission and decision-making. It is the full package that matters when you put all in for sport and I want to concentrate on, for instance, providing dual-career support for athletes so they can focus on reaching their full potential on and off the field.
Additional roles in IOC
Other roles in sport
- Chair of Athletes’ Commission, Finnish Olympic Committee (2016-)
- Member of Women’s Committee, IIHF (2016-)
- Member of Finnish Advisory Board of Sport Ethics (2015-)
- Member of Board (the first female in the position), Finnish lce Hockey Federation (2014-)
- Member of Athletes’ Commission, Finnish Olympic Committee (2006-2016)
- Member of Student Athlete Board, The Ohio State University (2002-2004)