The mission of the University Relations service is to facilitate and encourage the collaboration between the international academic community and the IOC. This relationship has a twofold objective: to respond to requests from universities and to answer the IOC administration’s needs related to the academic world.
Presentation of activities
The section’s three main areas of activity are related to the academic research, communication and cooperation with worldwide universities and monitoring Olympic studies.
As part of the IOC Olympic Studies Centre (OSC)’s commitment to collecting, enriching and disseminating Olympic knowledge, the OSC offers several opportunities for academic research with a humanities or social sciences perspective. These opportunities have the following three main objectives:
1. to support early career researchers through a PhD students’ Research Grant Programme;
2. to encourage established researchers to conduct projects in IOC priority fields of research through an Advanced Olympic Research Grant Programme, and finally;
3. to respond to specific IOC research needs through an open call for proposals.
- The PhD Students and the Advanced Research Grant Programmes are launched on an annual basis. The objectives, rules, guidelines and application forms for both programmes are regularly posted here.
A list of research projects previously awarded is also published on our web pages.
- Calls for proposals for specific applied research projects may be launched by the University Relations section throughout the year, responding to the specific needs raised by the IOC departments. All the information concerning the calls for proposals will be posted here.
Communication and cooperation
The section is in regular contact with university representatives whose activities touch on Olympic studies. This contact allows not only for exchanges
but also for collaboration
on academic activities related to Olympism, the Olympic Movement and the Olympic Games. One of the main OSC's communication media is the “OSC Newsletter”, which provides quarterly information on the OSC’s activities, on the IOC activities of interest for the academic community and on Olympic Studies academic activities.
Previous issues of the OSC Newsletter are available here
University professors and researchers involved in the field of Olympic Studies and interested in receiving the OSC Newsletter and other communications concerning the OSC’s activities and research programmes can be included in the OSC emailing list. To be included in this list, please send us an email, including a brief description of your academic status together with your full contact detail.
Olympic Studies monitoring
The section is also responsible for Olympic studies monitoring, whose objective is to collect information on academic activities and production linked to Olympism around the world. A selection of these activities is posted regularly on our web pages.