The IOC had previously asked the three candidates to submit their viewpoints on the fight against doping. Sir Craig Reedie will be up for election by the WADA Foundation Board in mid-November in Johannesburg.
Meeting with IAAF Council
The EB gathered in Moscow to join the Council of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) for their traditional biennial meeting on the eve of the World Athletics Championships, to be held this year from 10 to 18 August in the Russian capital.
The two organisations praised the success of last year’s Olympic Games in London, discussed the good progress made in preparations for next year’s Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing (China) and assessed joint projects such as the construction of athletic tracks in developing countries.
In a separate meeting, the EB also took a number of other important decisions.
Olympic programme for Rio 2016
Following its previous decision not to increase the number of athletes or medals at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, the EB approved the quota-neutral requests made by four International Federations (IFs) for either a swap of events or modifications to the competition format.
- UCI – Six quota places were transferred from men’s to women’s track cycling
- FEI – Ten quota places were transferred from eventing to dressage
- FILA – One weight category was transferred each from men’s freestyle and Greco-Roman to women’s freestyle
- ISAF – Men’s keelboat has been replaced by mixed multihull while women’s skiff will replace women’s match racing
Sports Programme for the 2016 Winter Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer
For the second edition of the Winter Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer, the EB decided to add the following events:
- Freestyle – Ski slopestyle (men and women)
- Snowboard – Snowboard cross (men and women)
- Cross-Country Skiing – Cross-country cross (men and women)
- Freestyle Skiing / Snowboard – Team ski-snowboard cross (mixed gender)
- Bobsleigh - Monobob Race (men and women) – The two-men and two-women has been
replaced by the monobob race
- Speed Skating – Mixed NOC Team Sprint - The 3,000m race (men and women) has
been removed from the programme and will be replaced by the Mixed NOC Team Sprint
- Nordic Combined – Individual Competition 5 km (men) – The distance of the individual
competition has been modified to 5km (formerly 10km).
- Combined Sports – Nordic Team Event (mixed gender) – The Cross-Country Biathlon
Team Relay (Cross-Country Skiing and Biathlon) has been replaced by the Nordic Team
Event (Ski Jumping, Cross-Country, Nordic Combined, Biathlon)
Candidates for IOC Athletes’ Commission elections in Sochi
The EB also approved the candidatures of nine athletes for the IOC Athletes’ Commission elections, which will be held during the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, in February 2014. Two seats on the Commission will become available in 2014, with current members Beckie Scott and Saku Koivu both finishing their terms of office next winter. All athletes participating in Sochi 2014 will be eligible to vote. After approval by the IOC Session, the two elected athletes will become IOC members for an eight-year term of office.
Sanctions for members of an athlete’s entourage
In another decision directly affecting athletes, the EB approved new guidelines for sanctioning the members of an athlete’s entourage that aim to ensure the integrity of sport, offer a minimum standard and can be easily adopted by sports organisations. The guidelines apply to various violations, including in the fields of doping, discrimination, harassment or abuse, match-fixing and unsporting behaviour, and detail a list of possible measures and sanctions.