Youth Olympic Games... The Journey Continues to London 2012
The IOC has made available free broadcast quality footage of inspiring young London 2012 medal hopefuls for whom the Youth Olympic Games served as the springboard to their success. The IOC has followed their remarkable journeys from Singapore 2010 to London 2012 qualification, and we bring you their stories in two formats:
- A Video News release, which can be accessed here: Springboard for Success at the London 2012: The Youth Olympic Games.
- A fully edited and subtitled version of the same story, which can be downloaded and posted on your websites. Footage can be accessed at the following link: Youth Olympic Games... The Journey Continues.
The footage features:
- Diver Qiu Bo (19, China): Current world champion (10m and 10m synchro), Qiu was selected as Male Diver of the Year in 2011 and is going into London 2012 as favourite. He took home two gold medals in Singapore 2010.
- Swimmer Chad Le Clos (20, South Africa): Winner of five medals in Singapore 2010, now a strong medal contender in London, where he will be competing against Michael Phelps, his mentor and Youth Olympic Games Ambassador. Chad was overall 2011 FINA World Cup champion and finished ahead of Phelps in the FINA World Cup in Moscow in two events.
- Jessica Fox (18, Australia) and Alexander Massialas (18, USA): Singapore 2010 gold and silver medallists who have since outdone their more experienced rivals to secure places at London 2012.
- IOC President Jacques Rogge: Shares his hopes for YOG athletes competing at the London Games.
- The release also include a brief feature with Michael Phelps (USA), YOG Ambassador
Through these remarkable stories, this footage demonstrates how the Youth Olympic Games have become a vital preparation ground for future Olympians, as they test themselves against their peers from around the world. This footage features their successes in Singapore, together with interviews with the athletes and training clips.
What these young athletes gained from the Youth Olympic Games was invaluable experience of top international competition, and the self-confidence and encouragement to take the final key steps onto the world’s greatest sports arena. And they are not alone – many others have made the step up from the 2010 YOG to qualify for London 2012.
If you are interested in finding out if athletes in your countries benefited from the same experience before qualifying for the London 2012 Olympic Games, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we can organise interviews, send photos and share with you additional footage.
For more information, please contact the IOC Media Relations Team:
Tel: +41 21 621 6000 e-mail: email@example.com, or visit our web site at www.olympic.org.
For an extensive selection of photos available shortly after each event, please follow us on Flickr.
To request archive photos and footage, please contact our Images team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For up-to-the-minute information on the IOC and regular updates, please follow us on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.