The Juridical Commission’s role is both consultative and operational on juridical issues.
Legal opinions, studies and action
The IOC Juridical Commission was created in 1974.
Its terms of reference include:
• Providing legal opinions to the IOC President, the IOC Executive Board and the IOC Session, upon their request, on issues relating to the exercise of their respective competences;
• Providing preliminary opinions concerning draft amendments to the Olympic Charter;
• Considering actions or defence concerning the IOC;
• Carrying out studies of a legal nature on issues which may affect the interests of the IOC; and
• Performing any other tasks of a legal nature entrusted to it by the IOC President, the IOC Executive Board or the IOC Session.